We built a deck

Recently we've been working on other kinds of projects. Here are some pictures of the deck we built. We originally had a deck, but it was splitering and falling apart after only a year. The builder used some really rough materials and littered it with nails to try to get it to stay together. We took the opportunity to make an even bigger deck while we had it all disassembled. We went for a simple design, 16' by 16' with composite wood decking.

Pre-build

Some family friends came over and removed the old deck. They pulled everything off the house, leaving just the old footings and the ledger board. We ended up replacing this ledger board since it was all marred up from the old deck. This was almost all the materials. We ended up needing some more/different 2x4s since the onces that were picked out were in rough shape. I tried to dig the footings by hand and with an auger, but the home builder left/added in far too many large rocks, so I rented an excavator to make short work of that.

Build

Once the holes were dug, we started work on the frame of the deck. We first laid out the upper frame and the basis for the beam over where the footings were supposed to be, and then filled the footings with concrete. This made it a little harder to fill the tubes, but it made sure the deck was square before it was impossible to move them and let us get it level for the posts the beam rests of.

With the frame complete, we could work on adding the joists and decking. We first attached the joists to the ledger board with joist hangers, then nailed them through the rim joist. We then added the hanger on the rim joist side. After the joists were in, we could start adding the decking boards. We used hidden fastners since we were using composite boards. They took a bit more effort and technique upfront, but the markless boards look great.

After all the decking was in place, we could attach the railings and balusters. This math was a little difficult to make sure we did not exceed four inches between the balusters, but had as similar as possible gaps for all sections. Since the balusters needed to span inconsistent sized sections, this took a little while to convince ourselves the math was right.

Post-build

To shade ourselves during the summer heat, we added an awning overhead. Luckily, our family had just pulled one off of their house, so we could recycle it on to our own, and it roughly matched. To mount the brackets, we needed to get some nylon spacers so we didn't need to remove the vinyl siding. We found a thickness that was slightly larger than the depth of our vinyl siding and mounting it towards the top of each piece so it wouldn't squeeze the siding. After mounting the awning, it took a bit to actually get the awning balanced. Some set screws in the arms of the awning move each side up and down separately.

The deck remained empty through the winter, and in the Spring we finally added furniture. To get an idea of what could fit, I made a really rough model of the deck in SketchUp and tried to see if everything we were looking at buying would fit. It ended up working out pretty good, and our size estimates were even oversized which made it easier for everything to fit. We tried to match the furniture to the decking color since the awning and house took on the green color. We ended up moving the grill closer to the sliding door, but we kept the couch and sectional in those spots. We ended up adding extra padding to the sectionals pillows since they were incredibly lacking. Also, we added connectors to keep the sectional pieces together.

Bonus!

We added some lighting! I took an extension cord, cut it in half, wired it into an outdoor box and then plugged some lights from Target into the newly-switched extension cord. Adding this switch makes it match the controls for the awning (it's powered in and out).

We got hornets! This wasn't the only nest either. We had both yellow jackets AND bald face hornets. We ended up getting an exterminator to remove both nests since consumer spray didn't seem to be doing anything. They ended up getting in a full protection suit and spraying into the nest directly, ripping the nest out and spraying the remains. On the bright side, we haven't seen anything since!

Published on Mar 6, 2019
comments powered by Disqus